LibQUAL+® Training Programs
Check for upcoming training programs
LibQUAL+®: Survey Introduction
The LibQUAL+® Introduction session provides both future prospective participants and those new to the LibQUAL+® survey administration with information on the project's development and origins, as well as basic practical information for getting started with the survey at your library.
Audience: Those interested in LibQUAL+® and first time survey administrators. [Attendance at this session prior to conducting the survey is highly recommended for all first time survey administrators; repeat survey administrators do not need to attend].
- History of LibQUAL+®: From a research project to ongoing ARL service and expansion of the survey
- Research foundations: Qualitative and quantitative grounding for LibQUAL+® and development of the survey instrument
- The LibQUAL+® site: Resources, including the online tutorial "Learn to Read Radar Charts"
- Registration: Step by step
- Overview of survey administration steps
Pre-assignment: Survey registration is not a prerequisite
LibQUAL+®: Survey Administration
The LibQUAL+® Administration session provides all participants registered for LibQUAL+® survey administration with practical information for administering the survey at your library.
Audience: All survey administrators and members of assessment groups/teams. [Attendance at this session prior to conducting the survey is highly recommended for both first time and repeat survey administrators].
Articulating survey objectives/desired outcomes
- Obtaining Institutional Review Board approval
- Sampling: Determining whom to survey; obtaining population data for representativeness of user groups and disciplines; developing the sampling plan
- Creating an assessment group or team
- Preparing the organization
- Marketing your survey
- Online system:
- Preferences: Setting basic survey preferences
- Customizing your survey; discipline customization
- Approving and running the survey
- Closing your survey, completing the representativeness questionnaire, completing the post hoc and evaluation questionnaires
- Obtaining results: Online, notebook, SPSS files
Pre-assignment: Review online tutorial "Learn to Read Radar Charts"; Survey registration
LibQUAL+®: Survey Results
The LibQUAL+® Results session is aimed at library staff who participated in the survey and will (a) provide an overview of recent LibQUAL+® participation, (b) report the latest research, (c) help participants to begin to interpret their institutional notebooks, and (d) share best practices in using the results. Note: this session does not include data analysis techniques.
Audience: All survey administrators and members of assessment groups/teams. [Attendance at this session immediately after conducting the survey is highly recommended for first time survey administrators; repeat survey administrators are also encouraged to attend].
Survey highlights for the current survey
- The latest LibQUAL+® research and development
- Using the Results notebook
- Interpreting radar charts and bar charts
- Understanding gap analysis
- Identifying differences among different user groups
- Using the LibQUAL+® Analytics
- Best practices in using the results: Stories from the field
Pre-assignment: Review online tutorial "Learn to Read Radar Charts"; Bring results notebook to session
Working Effectively with LibQUAL+®
The administration of a user survey is a significant investment for any library and it raises expectations among members of the user community and among staff. Many aspects of the LibQUAL+® survey administration process have been streamlined and there is rapid access to data and results. But some libraries indicate that they are not well-prepared to work effectively with and act upon the results, once received. This workshop will enable staff responsible for administering the LibQUAL+® survey to develop work plans that they can apply in their libraries in order to: perform some simple analyses of the quantitative and qualitative results data, present the results visually, make comparisons, identify what is actionable, organize their colleagues and committees to work with LibQUAL+®, present the results effectively to different stakeholders, utilize data to target areas for improvement, and develop a process of continuous assessment.
Audience: Survey administrators and members of assessment groups/teams.
- Determining representativeness
- Preparing customized charts & graphs
- Using norms tables
- Making peer comparisons
- Doing longitudinal analysis
- Identifying what is actionable
- Identifying roles & responsibilities
- Presenting results to stakeholders
- Engaging others in understanding & utilizing the results
- Targeting incremental improvements
- Applying data in decision-making
- Identifying & using best practices
- Integrating w/other assessments
- Planning next steps
Pre-assignment: Review online tutorial "Learn to Read Radar Charts"; Bring results notebook to session.